Put in the infinitive or the – ing form of the verb in brackets
- I was overjoyed to see you at the party.
- The nuclear station is not likely to blow up although it may shut down.
- Janice was sad to see such poverty when she visited India.
- It’s possible to work all day without being disturbed.
- You are free to leave any time you want to.
- You should be able to practice singing every day.
- Scientists are hoping to discover a new chemical element.
- I don’t mind people asking me questions.
- He works too slowly to be any use to me.
- He can ‘t stand waiting for other people.
- I guess there is no point to sit around here any longer.
- The lemonade was cool enough for us to drink.
- Please stop intepreting me when I am trying to explain something.
- I’ve forgotten to buy flowers for my girlfriend’s birthday
- I simply can’t afford to waste time trying to explain this to you.
- The thief admitted entering the house but says he didn’t take anything.
- I don’t really fancy spending my holidays in Spain.
- I apologized to her but she refused to accept
- He offered to help me to repair my motorcycle.
- Why does John keep writing to you?
Complete the sentences with either the infinitive or -ing form.
- It is difficult to find a place to park in this town.
2. Peter prefers driving rather than travelling by train.
3. It’s time to clean this kitchen.
4. She was sitting in her armchair watching television.
5. I can’t help falling in love with you.
6. I’ve given up trying to communicate with John.
7. There is no point to spend too long on the individual questions.
8. She used to say she would return to her job when the children grew up.
9. If you put off explaining it to her, then it will only become worse.
10. Many dream of winning the lottery so that they never have to work again.
Complete the report by putting the verbs in the correct form, using ing or to.
Swimmer abandons Channel swim
James Forsyth has decided to abandon his second attempt at
swimming the English Channel after breaking his ankle in a
cycling accident. His decision to postpone this attempt came after a two
week holiday mountain biking in Majorca with his wife. His first attempt
was also unsuccessful and he is unlikely to be back training for quite a few
months. He said in a recent interview that he had not yet decided whether
to try one more time, but denies losing total interest in the project. ‘ I aim raising money for a local charity ’ he explained. He continued by saying that if he could manage to find theme, he would do a lot more charity work.